How to Add Your Local Library to Goodreads
Updated: Jan 27, 2021
I've been using Goodreads for years to keep track of the books I've read and want to read, and get ideas from what my friends are reading. I thought I knew everything about the site, but yesterday discovered something new. Did you know you can add your local library to Goodreads to let you instantly see if they have the book you want to read? Here's a step-by-step guide on how to edit your book links to customize what places you see in the GET A COPY section under the description of each book. You can also use this guide to add your favorite independent bookstore, if their search engine is compatible.
1. Open the Goodreads website, click on your profile picture in the upper right corner, and select Account Settings from the drop down menu.
2. In Account Settings, click on the Book Links tab. Here you can add/remove the places that appear for you, as well as change their order. If you can’t find the link you want in the Popular Links list (I found it's not searchable, and the alphabetize function wouldn't work), select “add a new link” just above it.
3. Open a separate web page and go to your library or store’s website.
4. Enter the 10-digit ISBN number of a popular book in the search field, something you know your library or store has (you may need to omit hyphens), and click the search button.
5. Copy the url from the search result, then go back to Goodreads and paste it in the first box.
6. In the url you pasted, find the ISBN number you searched for, delete it, and replace it with #ISBN#.
7. Click Test Link. You should see the store or library’s website appear in a box.
8. Repeat steps 3 - 7 for a 13-digit ISBN for the second box, using #ISBN13#.
9. Repeat steps 3- 7 for a book title for the third box, replacing the title with #TITLE#.
10. Click the Create Book Link button at the bottom of the page, and you’re all set.
11. To test it, look up any book on Goodreads. Under GET A COPY just after the book description, click on Links button on the right. You should see your local library or store listed there now. Click on it.
12. A new page should open directly to that book at your local bookstore or library.
I hope you found this helpful, and that it encourages you to tackle your Want To Read list!